Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I got really bored earlier and decided to do the following and see if it ended up being entertaining...

1. Find the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Read the 3rd sentence.

I ran into a couple of snags. The first book I found didn't have anything written on page 123. The second book I found didn't have a page 123 at all, it started on page 199. I've not been able to ascertain a reason for this phenomenon. However I finally found a book that has a page 123 containing text. The following is the excerpted 3rd sentence.

"That's it for the Hawley-Smoot Tariff; you have our word."

A gold star to anyone who can tell me what book that's from. :)

--- --- ---

In other news, I'm here talking to my good friend Dan about his trip to Asia and such. We also find time to commiserate about the boredom that summer brings.

Although I can say for myself, that the boredom has lessened since Monday when work began. Monday was a long day because I didn't get myself much sleep the night before, and I had school at 7:00 until 1:00, then training from 1:00-4:00. It made for a long, tired day, but I made it through and even stayed awake for most of the evening, and went to bed early, a tactic that did little to aid my sleepiness on Tuesday morning. But since then, I've been done at 1:00 and been able to catch a little nap in the afternoons, which works much better.

The kids this year are a very fun and interesting bunch. Eagan is running a new program this year in which the high school level ELLs who have been in the U.S. for less than 6 months are collected from all over the district and put in one class together. It's quite a bit more challenging than last year. There's one student in the class who just got here from Vietnam last Thursday. Most of them are native Spanish speakers, a few from Mexico, most from Ecuador. We have one from Ethiopia, two from Somalia, and three from Vietnam. Only 14 out of 18 have showed up so far, so we may gain a few more tomorrow. Occasionally more advanced students from other classes come in for help on specific subjects. Today I helped one that was working on a current events project for a Civics class. All the students were very quiet and shy at first, but they are really starting to open up now, and today was great fun.

That's about all I've got that's news. I need to get out and about this weekend I think! Lynn, I'll be calling on you!

Laters gaters.

I almost forgot. This will cause you great pain and anguish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home